The Scottish Rite Creed
“Human progress is our cause, liberty of thought our supreme wish, freedom of conscience our mission, and the guarantee of equal rights to all people everywhere our ultimate goal.”
About the Scottish Rite
The Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry is commonly known as the Scottish Rite. It is one of several appendant groups of the worldwide fraternity known as Freemasonry. Each Valley has up to four Scottish Rite bodies, and each body confers a set of degrees. In the Southern Jurisdiction, these are the Lodge of Perfection (4°–14°), Chapter of Rose Croix (15°–18°), Council of Kadosh (19°–30°), and the Consistory (31°–32°). The Supreme Council confers the 33rd Degree of Sovereign Grand Inspector General.
The Scottish Rite is one of the two branches of Freemasonry in which a Master Mason may proceed after he has completed the three degrees of Symbolic or Blue Lodge Masonry. The other branch is known as the York Rite, consisting of Royal Arch Masons, Royal and Select Masters, and the Knights Templar.
For additional information, check out these brochures:
Masonry Beyond the Third Degree
Masonry – A Family Tradition
Scottish Rite of Freemasonry Application:
If you are already a Mason, you may wish to petition for Scottish Rite membership as an expansion and enhancement of your Masonic career. You can, of course, ask a Scottish Rite Mason for a petition. Express your interest, and you will receive a petition along with information regarding the next Scottish Rite Reunion. Here are the forms you will need. You may print these forms and mail or fax them to us.
Click the following link for a Petition for the Scottish Rite Degrees: Scottish_Rite_Petition_2023.pdf
SOME REASONS FOR JOINING THE SCOTTISH RITE
- The Scottish Rite offers an unsurpassed field for the study of Masonry.
- It enlarges upon and explains and applies the symbolism of Masonry.
- It exemplifies and makes clear the truths and allegory of the Blue Lodge and the first three degrees.
- It presents an unequaled opportunity for the practical demonstration of the teachings of Freemasonry.
- It gives one a fellowship in its literature, with the deepest minds and purest characters of Freemasonry.
- It allows one to participate in the glorious work of spreading the doctrine of the Fatherhood of God and Brotherhood of Man.
- It gives one a greater incentive to higher thoughts and nobler deeds because of a greater knowledge of one’s responsibility and the history of the institution of the Scottish Rite.
- It creates within one a greater love for chivalry, a greater respect for philosophy, and a never ending love for one’s Blue Lodge.
- It enjoins on every brother the support of the American public schools; non-partisan, nonsectarian, efficient, democratic; for all of the children of all of the people and equal educational opportunities for all.
- It inculcates patriotism, love of the flag, respect for law and order and undying loyalty to constitutional government.
- It carries out the sublime principles of Masonry by cooperating in every way with Blue Lodges by maintaining an ever lasting interest in Masonry.
- It brings the Brethren from various Lodges together at frequent intervals whereby the spirit of Brotherhood and Fraternity is reflected in Excellence.
- The lessons of the Degrees are portrayed in an exemplary and professional manner by a cast of Brothers who come together at each Reunion. More than one hundred Ritualists, Costuming, Stage Crew, Choir, Classroom, Kitchen, Reception, Parking and many others all play a vital part. These Brothers form special bonds of camaraderie that grow from year to year.